The new Android feature is simple but useful and it basically does what the name hints at. You write your message and set the time and date you want it to go out. The message will then automatically be sent at the time you have chosen. Android’s schedule send will make things run smoother.
Instead of setting a reminder to send a message tomorrow morning, you write the message right away and schedule when to send it. You get rid of one step and get the task of your mind.
So how does Android’s schedule send work?
- Make sure you have the Google messages app installed and up to date. (Note that it’s not the standard messaging app on all android devices.)
- Type your message exactly like you normally would.
- Press and HOLD the send button until a menu pops up.
- Choose one of the pre-set times or set your own.
- Tap “save” and google will send it at the scheduled time.
Scheduled messages that have not yet been sent will be visible and you are able to edit or delete them.
A small but useful upgrade
Android’s schedule send will be extra useful for those of us working in international companies, where time zones complicate things. If you’re working late and don’t want to bother your colleagues outside of working hours just schedule the message.
It’s also a smooth way of messaging people to send in their reports or reminding them of a meeting. For the absent-minded, however, the number one use case will be that happy birthday message to your mother.